While it is possible to drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles in a day, it would be a shame to miss one of the most spectacular roads of the U.S. Indeed, the legendary Route 1 with its breathtaking views of California’s mountains and cliffs plunging into the Pacific is not to be missed. On this road, you will truly have the opportunity to disconnect, by going on stunning hikes through the cliffs and wilderness, bask in the sun on the beautiful beaches, and stroll along the charming towns that dot the coastline.
Itinerary Down the California Coast
Road trip Along Route 1
This 5-day itinerary is concocted so that you will hit all the must-sees of the famous Route 1, while also discovering the more unknown gems. Take your time to discover one of the most breathtaking roads of the world. This tour includes:
- An unforgettable romantic retreat on the cliff of Big Sur embracing the beauty of the Pacific Ocean
- A picturesque and fantastic drive on the famous coastal scenic road to Big Sur.
- A stop at Point Lobos — Sit on a terrace with a unique view on the ocean and savor your breakfast.
- A night or two in Carmel — Authentic Relais-Chateaux or typical and comfortable inns by the sea.
- Pacific Grove and Pebble Beach — Drive through this 17-mile scenic road on the coast from Monterey to Carmel and discover the incredible golf course of Pebble Beach.